What is Plantar Fasciitis? Plantar Fasciitis is one of the most common causes of heel pain and is a condition which involves inflammation of a thick band of tissue that runs across the bottom of the foot and connects the heel bone to the toes (plantar fascia). Repeated strain can bring about small tears in the ligament causing pain and swelling Symptoms: Symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis include:
- Stabbing pain around the heel and arch of the foot - Pain may be worse in the morning and should ease after moving around but is likely to return when standing still or after sitting for long periods of time
Who is affected by Plantar Fasciitis? - This condition is most common in runners, especially in those who wear shoes with inadequate support. Certain types of exercise that place a lot of stress on the heel and attached tissue, such as ballet dancing and aerobic dance.
- People with flat feet, a high arch or even an abnormal pattern of walking as this can affect the way weight is distributed when standing and can put added stress on the plantar fascia.
- Factory workers, teachers and others who spend most of their work hours walking or standing on hard surfaces as this can also damage the plantar fascia.
1. Self-Myofascial Release - using a soft foam ball roll your foot backwards and forwards and in circular motions every morning and before bed for 3-5 minutes. Apply pressure within your own comfort zone
2. Stretching - focus on stretching calf muscles (gastrocnemius & soleus muscles) as well as Achilles’ tendon & deep foot flexors (demonstrated in the seated video)
3. Strengthening Exercises of the lower leg and ankle - these can also help to stabilise the ankle and ease pain
4. Deep Tissue Massage is the technique of choice for heel pain caused by Plantar Fasciitis. Massage helps to loosen the tendons, ligaments, and fascia that have become painfully tight over time and relaxes them back to their natural form
#massagetherapy #massageinbattersea #batterseamassage #plantarfasciitis #tutorial #stretches #exercises #tensionrelief #painrelief