I think it’s safe to say that the majority of us have a love/hate relationship with the foam roller, most of us hating it... SO I am here to change your mind about it! Click on the image below to watch the full tutorial.
1. What is foam rolling?
Foam rolling is a type of self-massage technique which allows you to control the pressure to alleviate tightness or trigger points in your muscles.
2. What are the benefits of foam rolling?
- Helps to alleviate muscle soreness & fatigue
- Reduces inflammation which occurs during the muscle repair process
- Aids in muscle repair recovery
- Helps to prevent injury by maintaining muscle length and remedying tension & tightness
- Increases blood flow and elasticity of the muscle tissue, joints, and fascia (the body’s connective tissue) which helps with mobility and overall well-being
3. Who should foam roll?
I think everyone! It is not just for avid exercisers, for those of you who sit at a desk all day, have poor posture or suffer from joint issues - foam rolling is for you!
4. How to use the foam roller safely:
- Place the foam roller underneath the muscle you’re targeting
- Then roll up and down the targeted area using moderate pressure to start with seeking out any trigger points or adhesions (areas which feel particularly tight)
- Gradually increase the pressure within your comfort zone to go deeper into the muscle fibres with each roll
- Focus on your breath, as you feel the rolling become challenging, bring your awareness to your breath, inhaling deeply and exhaling allowing the muscles to fully relax and get that full release
- Stay on trigger points (specific areas of tensions) for 30-60 seconds or until the discomfort subsided - it is normal for the discomfort to ease gradually
- If it is PAINFUL - immediately ease off the pressure by adjusting your body position or by using the arms or legs for more support
- For particularly sensitive areas, rolling should only be performed on surrounding areas and gradually introduced over a no. of sessions to help build tolerance
- Avoid foam rolling over bony prominences & joints
- Don’t move too slowly or too quickly
- STOP or EASE off if it is painful!