Massage For Rheumatoid Arthritis
• RA is an autoimmune & inflammatory condition where the body starts to turn against itself and attacks the healthy lining of the joints.
- Joint swelling/pain, inflammation, heat - redness of skin, early morning stiffness & fatigue - an overwhelming exhaustion and fogginess of the brain.
DID YOU KNOW❓
RA affects women more than men in people under 65. Hormones play a significant part in triggering RA for women e.g. after giving birth, experiencing stress and/or anxiety, and those who smoke.
It is incorrect to assume the condition is strictly reserved for older people and arthritis is not something that springs to mind for young people when experiencing symptoms. Very often a GP can misdiagnose RA as an RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury) perhaps for CPS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome), exercising too much or due to stress/anxiety so it is very difficult for young people to get diagnosed.
HOW CAN MASSAGE HELP❓
- Massage helps reduce pain by soothing the nervous system switching off pain signals & allowing your body to relax. Massage also encourages the body's release of “happy hormones” a natural painkiller, known as our endorphins.
Massage provides instant pain relief and helps sufferers refocus their mind away from the discomfort.
- Massage helps to increase blood flow by clearing the affected tissue of by-products caused by arthritis. It has a positive effect on releasing swelling and slowing down the inflammation to ensure that joints can begin to move more freely and smoothly.
3️⃣LESSENS MUSCLE STIFFNESS:
- Overuse of muscles & tendons causes stiffness and pin. Inflammation of joints can also spread into soft tissues causing further discomfort and damage. Massage can help by increasing muscle movement and flexibility.
- Exercising can be very painful for those who suffer from arthritis. However, an important part of slowing down the arthritic degeneration is staying active. Massage helps to relax muscles and soothe joints which releases discomfort and enables you to stay as active as possible.